Thursday, June 9, 2011

Free Falling

I have gone from working in the studio with no idea of where the work is going to hanging three shows during the month of June into July.  For the first time in years I can see space in my studio because so many pieces are hanging somewhere else.  It’s exciting to revisit the old work when I am picking it for the shows and I am loving the extra room on the art table.

The third show hangs on June 19th, and I am working on some new pieces for it.  Here’s what I have so far:

june 9 painting supplies

Painting supplies.  Some of my favorites are the stamping materials to add texture and shape.  I’m also really liking the use of the pure pigments to help in mixing specific colors.

june 9 paintings_picnik

I am painting on 22” x 30” Fabriano 300lb Cold Press watercolor paper.  I am making a series of larger collages based on the idea of a summer carnival.

june 9 painting two

One of the most exciting discoveries of this series so far is the use of foam pipe insulation as a stamping tool.  It  makes wonderful circles.

june 9 painting four_picnik

The pipe insulation also can be squished to make these great ovals.  That was an accidental discovery, which happened when I was on the phone with my daughter and gripped the tube a little too tightly.  The frog is a linoleum carving I made in undergraduate school.  I have used him for many things now.   This is painted in contractor’s paper which has been treated with gesso first.

june 9 frog cardboard with fish_picnik

Another take on the frog motif, this time on a recycled cereal box.  You can also see the fish silkscreen I made in the background of this one.  I just love the contrast of turquoise with the warm orange and red.

june 9 big sticks in process_picnik

This piece is waiting for some yellow dots made using sequin waste as a stencil. 

I am really excited to see how these pieces come together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment