Monday, March 21, 2011

A Little Respite on the Journey

 

Sometimes it is necessary to take a day or two to replenish the well.  Lately I’ve been feeling burned out to the point of just wanting to stay in bed some mornings.  That’s not an option, and I know it wouldn’t help in the long run (I tend to get down on myself for indulging in such non-productive behavior), but sometimes it is ok to take a day to play with something I love to do.  Yesterday, it was drawing with my beloved Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water soluble crayons.

drawing march 2011 four

Since the point of this activity was to have fun, I didn’t sweat setting up a large still life or anything complex.  Instead I went to my jewelry collection, and drew one of my favorite necklaces. I chose to focus in on one of the floral beads and the wonderful little coral pieces.  Since I am using a smaller drawing pad (Strathmore Artagain black, size 6” x 9”), this filled the space quite nicely.

drawing march 2011 two

Last spring I purchased this happy little bluebird at a local nursery, and today he made a nice subject for a second drawing.  I love the contrast of the bright blue against the sunny orange.

drawing march 2011 three

I actually drew this picture a few weeks ago.  I was inspired by my bird of paradise work, and wanted to do something similar with another flower.  A trip to a local florist yielded this beautiful iris.  And yes, it is in process as a stitched image. 

I really enjoy working this way, and have a few more drawings planned.  And tomorrow I will return to the studio refreshed and ready to get back to work.

What do you do when you need to recharge?

3 comments:

  1. I am with you there. I just finished up some collages, and that was a charge. I am so wrapped up in sewing right now, the actual process, that doing something fast and fun was a blast. I even woke up this morning with an idea for finishing another piece I had started awhile back. Hurrah for refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful drawings. Sometimes it's just wonderful to draw straight from the heart. Last week when I was feeling burned out I went to the studio and painted all day. At the end I was rejuvenated and exhausted all at the same time. Good job on being gentle with yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! My medium of choice the past few years is photoshop. I say photoshop because the work I do for sale is digital art more than photography, but it begins with photos. When I am burnt out I take a photo walk. Sometimes I go to a favorite park or town, sometimes the back yard is enough. I go without intention and shoot what strikes me and I fine it rejuvenating as well as usually pretty inspiring as I remember art is everywhere. Lately though I have been compelled to draw and paint again which is where I started many years ago. I will enjoy watching what you do!

    ReplyDelete