Sunday, February 20, 2011

When I Wrote This

I was listening to the Traveling Wilburys a lot when I took these.  And reading Heyden Hererra’s biography of Frida Kahlo.  So, on a chilly March day, with nothing to do with a bored toddler and a few props from the local Woolworth’s, some photos were born.
deva birthday 2011 two
Here I took a full shot of Deva, wrapped in a simple lace scarf with kitschy fake flowers in her hair.  I was really into the idea of shrines and altarpieces at the time.
deva birthday 2011 one
I added another lace scarf and a length of gold lame to this one.  She was a very patient model, and took direction so well.
deva birthday 2011 four
Here I felt a little funny about doing all these Catholic images (my husband is Jewish), so I wrapped her in his tallis.  My mother-in-law said she looked like a little old lady in this one.
deva birthday 2011 three
And my favorite, with real gerbera daisies from Kroger’s. 
There is a website where people re-create childhood photos of themselves.  Today (February 20th) my favorite model turns 25.  I wonder if she’d be up to a re-shoot?

2 comments:

  1. They are so serene. Beautiful model and I can´t believe you got her to be so still and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos Andi, adore little mini kahlo!

    ReplyDelete