Monday, August 13, 2012

Changing Gears

In my last post , I mentioned that I had taken an online painting class offered by Carla Sonheim. Here are some of the results of my explorations following the class (IOW art I made for show/sale, not as part of the classwork, but incorporating techniques I learned in the class).

anemone

Underwater Fantasy I  12” x 12” on birch plywood panel.  Watercolor, gesso, charcoal and acrylic ink.  Currently on display at Arts West in Athens Ohio through September 2. 

koi

Lotus Dreams  12” x 12” on birch plywood panel.  Watercolor, gesso, charcoal and acrylic ink.  Private collection.

orange undersea

Crown of Thorns, 12” x 12” on birch plywood panel.  Rice paper, gesso, watercolor, charcoal and acrylic ink.  Currently on display at Arts West in Athens Ohio through September 2.

Purple orange undersea

Who Needs Fronds, 12” x 12” on birch plywood.  Watercolor, gesso, charcoal and acrylic ink.  Private collection.

stormy tree coral

Spiral Dance, 12” x 12” on birch plywood.  Watercolor, gesso, charcoal, India ink and acrylic ink.  Private collection.

tube coral greem background A

Reaching for the Sun, 12” x 12” on birch plywood.  Watercolor, gesso, charcoal, acrylic ink and collage.  Currently on display at Arts West in Athens, Ohio.

urchins green lime background

Tropical Treat, 12” x 12” on birch plywood.  Collage, gesso, watercolor, charcoal and acrylic ink.  Currently on display at Arts West in Athens, Ohio.

I really enjoy working on the small panels of wood and letting myself see what images take form instead of forcing them to come.  Currently I’m working a bit larger, on canvas with acrylics, but I am maintaining the same spirit of exploration and fun that I found in creating these works.

My show of new work, The Mermaid’s Tale, is on exhibit at Arts West, in Athens, Ohio, through September 2.  If you are in the area, I invite you to check it out.  Most pieces are for sale, contact me for more information, and check out my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment