Thursday, December 1, 2011

30 Days of Drawing, Day One

Traci Bunkers, of Bonkers Handmade Originals, is hosting a challenge to draw every day for 30 days.  It will be a little tricky with the holiday season and all, but I have been getting back into my drawing and I decided to play along.  You can find out more information about how to join us at Traci’s blog.

Earlier this week I started a series of small drawings on recycled chipboard, so for now I’m going to continue in that vein (smaller drawings also makes it easier to do a whole drawing in a day ;)

etsy drawing five

Last year I made myself a necklace for my birthday, and this drawing is a detail of one of my favorite beads from the necklace.  I used a Derwent Graphitint pencil to lay down the initial outline (after drawing a guideline square in the center of the chipboard), then filled in the rest with Caran D’Ache Supracolor II and Prismacolor pencils.  I’ve been painting in the backgrounds of most of the drawings with various acrylics.  This piece is painted with Jo Sonja acrylic gouache, Martha Stewart craft paint in aqua glitter, and a thin wash of red iron oxide to provide the shadows.  I like how the smooth surface of the paint contrasts with the rougher surface of the drawing.

You can see the other pieces in this series at my Etsy shop

2 comments:

  1. Great start, lady! I'll be watching this month with my pom-poms out, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beautiful, vibrant color!

    ReplyDelete